Changsha University of Science & Technology
Chapter 1 General Provisions
Article 1 This handbook is formulated, in accordance with Regulations on Students of General Higher Education, Regulations on Higher Education Institutes Accepting Foreign Students, Law of the People’s Republic of China on Entry and Exit of Aliens, Provisions on the Disciplinary Offenses of Students of CSUST and some other laws and regulations of China, for maintaining the regular teaching and living order, ensuring mental and physical health of students and enabling the students to achieve all round development morally, intellectually and physically.
Article 2 The handbook applies to the international students of CSUST, including students from Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan and oversea Chinese students. (Hereinafter: International Students)
Article 3 Taking the cultivation of talents as its center, the university aims to improve the quality of education incessantly under the guidance of Chinese educational policy and rules of education. The university persists in running itself by law, improving its management system and combining strict management together with loving care education to upgrade its management unswervingly.
Article 4 CSUST students must abide by laws, regulations and moral codes of China as well as the regulation of the school. Good moral character and behavior, hard studying, eagerness to probing into and practicing knowledge and skills and good health are required for students of CSUST.
Article 5 Students of CSUST enjoy the following rights:
(1) to participate in various activities arranged according to the educational or teaching plan and use educational or teaching facilities and resources;
(2) to take part in students clubs and activities of recreation or sports;
(3) to receive scholarship;
(4) to receive a fair evaluation of his or her academic performance and moral character, and to receive an educational certificate or academic degree certificate, as appropriate, upon of the required programs;
(5) to lodge a complaint with relevant division of the university, Students Appeal Committee or Hunan Provincial Department of Education if he or she refuses to accept the punishment, and to lodge a complaint or bring a lawsuit, in accordance with law, against an infringement upon his or her right of the person, property or other lawful rights and interests by the school authorities or teachers; and
(6) other rights stipulated by law or regulations.
Article 6 Students of CSUST shall fulfill the following obligations:
(1) to observe laws and regulations of China;
(2)to observe regulations and disciplines of the university;
(3) to work hard in their studies and complete the assigned tasks of study;
(4) to pay tuition and fees under requirement on time;
(5) to abide by the regulations on student’s behavior, respect the teachers and the elders and have good moral character and behavior.
Article 7 Rewards and punishment
(1) the following rewards shall given to the students abide by the law of China, good conduct,being good at study. The rewards including: verbal praise; circulate a notice of commendation; Issue testimonials, certificate, medal, prize, and scholarship.
The following sanctions shall be given to the student should he or she violate the disciplines
b) Serious warning
c) Recording a demerit
d) Academic probation
e) Expulsion from school
Chapter 2 Regulations on Entry and Exit to China
Article 8 Chinese government protects foreign students’ (including students from Hong Kong, Macau or Taiwan or oversea Chinese students) lawful rights and interests within Chinese territory. No infringement of personal freedom can be made. The regulation is formulated according to Law of the People’s Republic of China on Entry and Exit of Aliens.
Article 9 Students must abide by Chinese law, adhere to CSUSToms of the local people and can not endanger the national security of China, do harm to its public interests or disturb public order.
Article 10 Students can not be employed in China without the permission of the government. Students engaged in illegal employment may be fined up to 1,000 RMB and may be ordered to leave China
Article 11 Accommodation Registration
When a foreigner lodges at an institution or home in China, the institution, the host or the lodger must report to the local police station with the lodger’s passport or residence certificate and fill in the registration form of temporary accommodation within 24 hours of the lodger’s arrival.
(1) Students or their relatives who enter China at Changsha must report and summit their passports or entry permit to the International Students Office of the International Exchange Division of CSUST within 24 hours of their arrival of Changsha.
(2) Students or their relatives who enter China at the other ports must report and summit their passports or entry permit to the International Students Office of the International Exchange Division of CSUST within 24 hours of their arrival of Changsha.
(3) Students or their relatives who lodge at the home of the Chinese resident shall have their accommodation registered by the resident.
Article 12 Management of residence permit
（1）After registration, students should contact Student Affairs Office (OSA) as soon as possible to apply for residence permit, which should be obtained within 30 days of the entry into PRC.
（2）For students who hold student “X” visa, please apply for residence permit at the Exit and Entry Department of Changsha Municipal Bureau of Public Security. If your study period is longer than half a year, a long-term residence permit is required. If the study period is shorter than half a year, a temporary (short-term) residence permit is required. Anyone who does not possess a residence permit will be severely punished and fined by the Public Security Bureau.
（3）For students who hold business “F” visa (single), and the duration of stay is between 150 and 180 days, if your study period is no longer than half a year and you will not go abroad, a residence permit is not required. During the half-year study period, if you have to go abroad, the visa should be updated and a temporary (short-term) residence permit is required. (“F” multiple entry visa is not included). For students whose study period is longer than half a year, please update your visa and a residence permit is also required.
（4）Materials for applying for a residence permit include your passport, JW202 form (for self-sponsored student) or JW201 form (for scholarship student), physical examination certificate issued by Quarantine Bureau of Changsha ( not required for students whose study period is shorter than half a year), official letter of introduction issued CSUST, and two passport size photos with white background(48*33mm).
（5）Every September and March, International College can help students with their residence permits. Students should pay for the residence permit charge on their own.
（6）For residence permit extension, change of address, or transfer of school, students should make a written application to OSA one month before the valid date in the residence permit and go through the formalities. If the students do not submit an application to extend the residence permit to OSA one month before the valid date, the late fee will be charged (500 RMB per day). And the students should be responsible for illegal stay caused by not reporting to the OSA about the extension of residence permit before the deadline.
（7）Students should report any loss of passports or residence permits to OSA as soon as possible and apply for a new one. They should also declare invalidation of their lost IDs on appointed newspapers. Students are liable to all the expenses.
Article 13 The physical examination is required for the application for residence permit.
(1)Keep the stomach empty on the day of examination;
(2)Take the passport or the entry permit;
(3)2 two-inch bareheaded photos taken recently;
(4)Fees for the examination.
Students who fail in the physical examination should leave China and return immediately. If a student has some other disease, which are guaranteed to be cured by doctors in a short time, his or her qualification for admission may be retained for one year on his or her requirement, and the student shall pay himself/herself to return in a month.
Students whose qualification for admission is retained must file an application to the university two month before its opening of next semester. If the student passes the reexamination and completes the admission procedure on time, he or she can be admitted by the university, or his/her qualification will be cancelled.
Article 14 The rules above are formulated on the regulations on exit and entry implemented presently by public security bureau. In case of any discrepancy, the new regulation issued by public security bureau shall prevail.
The penalties provided for in this Chapter shall be executed by the public security organs.
Chapter 3 School Management
Section 1 Enrollment and Registration
Article 15 The new student admitted by the university should take Notice of Admission, Visa Application for Study in China (JW202), Physical Examination Record and other relevant documents to enroll at the International Students Office. The period of enrollment shall be extended to a maximum of 2 weeks under the circumstance that the student asks for leave. Students, who fail to enroll on time, shall lose their qualification for admission, except that it is caused by the force majeure or some justifiable reasons.
Article 16 New students must undergo a physical examination according to the rules of Chinese government. The student, whose health meets the required standard, can be allowed to register and secure student’s status. The student, who is unhealthy, will be handled with the most serious result of cancelling admission according to his or her condition of health. Student who suffer from psychosis, infection and other diseases not in insurance coverage. If any falsification is founded in the procedure of admission, the student must be expelled immediately.
Article 17 Students, who suffer from other diseases and are unable to continue their study, diagnosed by government-appointed health and quarantine department, will have their student’s status retained for one year and return at their own expense in one month. After rehabilitation and confirmation from the health and quarantine department, the student can restart the enrollment. The student, who fail again in the physical examination or do not complete the enrollments after the deadline without any sound reason, shall have their qualification for admission cancelled.
Article 18 Students must pay their tuition, registration fee, accommodation fee, deposit and insurance fees up, register in person at International Students Office in two weeks and get their residence permit at the beginning of each semester. A statement of reason is required, if the student can not register on time. No registration and extension of visa can be made, if the above payment is not clear or something unqualified happens.
Section 2 Duration of schooling and Course
Article 19 International student education at CSUST is generally divided to two parts: academic education and non-academic education. The academic education includes bachelor, master and PhD, non-academic education includes visiting scholars and research scholars
(1) Academic education school system and study duration
A. undergraduate: study duration is 3-6 years, when students complete all the studies with good grades and their theses approved, meet requirements of graduation diploma and requirements specified in a bachelor’s degree they can get a degree of bachelor.
B. Postgraduate Student: study duration is 3-6 years, when students complete all the studies with good grades and their theses approved, meet requirements of graduation diploma and requirements specified in a master’s degree they can get a degree of master.
C. Doctoral candidate: study duration is 3-7 years, when students complete all the studies with good grades and their theses approved, meet requirements of graduation diploma and requirements specified in a Doctor’s degree they can get a degree of doctorate.
(2) Non-academic school system and study duration
A. scholars: the study duration of general scholars and advanced scholars is usually within one year(Can be extended appropriately). General scholars should attend further study the undergraduate courses or Chinese language and culture, certificates will be issued after complete required courses. Advanced scholars should attend monographic studies withthe guidance of professor at CSUST, certificates will be issued after complete required researches or studies.
B. visiting scholars: the duration of study classified into three categories: one year, one semester, and short term. Visiting scholars can use the school library collections and attend monographic study with professors at CSUST.
Article 20 after registration at CSUST, students should attend courses according to the teaching plan.
Students should attend all activities stipulated in the study plan or arranged by CSUST, and observe CSUST’s disciplines. Teachers will keep a record of each student’s attendance, students who cannot attend required courses or activities should be approved by the departments in advance.
Article 21 students should attend the practice teaching and social practices, during the practices, students should obey relevant national, state and school provisions concerning foreign affairs.
Section 3 Course assessment transcript
Article 22 Student must undergo the assessment prescribed by syllabus or curriculums. The assessment will be recorded in the transcript and collected in personal archives.
Article 23 The assessment has two forms; examination and pass/fail assessment. Students who pass the assessment get the credit.After passing the assessment, students may apply to retake the course to get a higher score, The higher one can be recorded in the transcript. But the credit can only be secured once and the scholarship and prize are awarded according to the score achieved first.
Article 24 If a student cannot attend an exam for some reason such as illness, he or she may apply for a delay exam. Upon the approval of the international college and then report to academic affairs office, the student takes the final exam of the same course the next semester. No exam is arranged specially for an individual student after the normal one. If the delay exam is conflicted with the student’s other exam, the delay exam will be put off to the next semester accordingly. The score achieved in the delay exam is as effective as that in the normal one. Its regular part is provided by the original teacher. Absence in an exam without ask for leave procedure will result in the score of “zero”.
Article 25 Additional payment is required for student to read another specialty as a minor or study some courses of other majors.
Article 26 Students, who break the discipline of assessment, will be punished according to Regulations on Exam Violation of CUST.
Article 27 Students, who fail to get 50% credits of courses in one schooling year, should stay down to repeat the year’s work.
Article 28 Students, who repeat the course and resit for the exam, must do as the Academic Affairs Division requires.
Article 29 From the beginning of each semester, students’ attendance of the class, experiment, intern, exam and activities organized by school will be checked. Asking for leave is required for the absence. Absence without leave or permission is regarded as playing truant.
Article30 Approval from the International Exchange Division are needed for students to depart from the campus earlier or return to school later than it is scheduled, or the absence is considered as truancy. Students, who depart from Changsha (holiday included), must ask for leave from the International Exchange Division and report their destinations, return times and telephone numbers in advance. Students, who is absent from school without leave, will receive the punishment of warning or above.
Article 31 Students must follow the rules below to ask for leave.
（1）Students should submit written requests to their teachers of relevant courses to ask for leave and submit the written request to Students’ Affairs Office of International College after teachers sign their opinion. Chinese Language learners should submit their requests directly to OSA.
(2)Sick-leave requires a personal note or hospital proof. Sick-leave within one week requires teachers of relevant courses signature, and report to OSA; sick-leave longer than one week requires the signature of teachers of relevant courses, and the director who is in charge of international students. If these requirements are not met, it will be regarded as an absence.
(3)Students who ask for leave on private affairs have to go through the following formalities:
Chinese Language Learners: within three days, obtain permission from OSA; longer than three days, obtain permission from the Director who’s in charge of international students’ affairs.
Undergraduate Students and General Scholars: within one week, obtain permission from the teachers of relevant courses; longer than one week, obtain permission from teachers of relevant courses and Director who’s in charge of international students’ affairs. In both cases, students need to submit the written request to OSA with a signature and stamp of the department.
Graduate Students, Advanced Scholars and Researchers: within one week, obtain permission from the supervisor and the department office; longer than one week, obtain permission from the supervisor and the head of the department. In both cases, students need to submit the written request to OSA with signature and stamp of the department.
(4)The note needs to be stamped with the official seal and kept for future record.
(5) Undergraduate students who cannot go on study due to a health problem (sick-leave is longer than two months) should apply to departments, the Academic Affairs Office of CSUST and OSA for suspension and return to their countries for medical treatment. They can apply for resumption upon recovery. They will be asked to quit school if their health hasn’t improved when suspension is over.
(6) Language learners’ semester attendance should be 80% or more. Otherwise the International College will not issue them study certificates. For other students, their absences should be no more than one third of the class hours, otherwise they will be asked to quit school.
Article 32 Leave will not be permitted during the period of assessment except for a serious or acute disease. Sick leave shall be strictly limited at the time of assessment. Leave for a serious or acute disease requires a confirmation from the hospital.
Article 33 Absence from class without leave will be regarded as playing truant. Truant must get admonishment as well as the disciplinary punishment. After registration, the student, who plays truant, will receive the following punishment:
(1) A warning is given to those students who are absent from school for 11 to 25 class hours or 5 days accumulatively.
(2) A serious warning is given to those students who are absent from school for 26 to 40 classes or 6 to 8 days accumulatively;
(3) A demerit is recorded for those students who are absent for 41 to 55 class hours or 9 to 11 days accumulatively;
(4) Probation is put on those students who are absent for 56 to 70 class hours or 12 to 14 days accumulatively.
(5) Students, who are absent over 71 class hours or more than 15 days, will be expelled and have their Residence Permit annulled.
Section 5 Transfer of Major or Institution
Article 34 The procedure of transfer of major or The procedure of transfer of major are: advance an application by student, get the approval from the Departments of both majors and a confirmation from International Students Office, and finish some other relevant formalities are: advance an application by student, get the approval from International College, teaching affairs division of CSUST and finish some other relevant formalities.
Article 35 Students, who fulfils one of the following conditions, are permitted to change their majors:
(1) Recognized by their original department, students who own an outstanding special skills and can give full play to their special skills after the shift of major.
(2) Confirmed by their original department, students who are incapable of pursuing his study but capable of reading another major;
(3) Students who pass the exam for changing of major and meet the relevant criteria.
Article 36 Students who are not eligible to or not accepted by the new major are disallowed to transfer their majors
Article 37 Students, who are difficult to accomplish their study in CSUST, can ask for transfer of institution. The procedure includes student’s application, approval from the Department, Teaching Affairs Division and International College, and finishes the relevant formalities.
Article 38 What is left unmentioned about transfer of major or institution will be consult according to relevant Regulations of CSUST.
Section 6 Suspend and Resume Schooling
Article 39 Students can finish their study with suspension, but the longest extension of the period of schooling (including the suspension of schooling) can not exceed 2 years.
Article 40 Only when students get the approval from the department, academic affair office and international College, can they suspend their schooling. Generally, the suspension is ratified for one semester. Under special circumstance, the suspension can be continued, but the overall period can not be over 2 years.
Article 41 Marriage in schooling are not advocated. Students, who are difficult to study because of the pregnancy or delivery, are permitted to suspend schooling.
Article 42 Formality needs to be completed for students to get the suspension. In suspension, student’s status shall be retained but student’s benefits cannot be given.
Article 43 An application should be made by students one week after the suspension. Agreed by the university, the student shall resume schooling.
Section 7 Withdraw from School
Article 44 If one of the following cases occurs, the student will be advised to withdraw from school
(1) Students, whose credits are below the minimum as it is required by the university or students whose fail in the exam occupies 70% of courses that they are supposed to read.
(2) Students unable to complete their study within the maximum of schooling (including suspension)
(3) No application has been made in the two weeks after suspension of schooling or students disqualified to resume schooling.
(4) Students, who suffer from psychosis, infection and other diseases not in insurance coverage, and who is unable to finish their study due to accidental disability.
(5) Without asking for leave or permission, students who are absent from school for 2 weeks continuously or students who do not attend the required teaching activities for 3 weeks accumulatively.
(6) Students who do not register in the two weeks after the school opening unreasonably;
(7) Students who ask for withdraw from school themselves.
Students, who withdraw of school, should depart from China within the date stipulated by the Administration of Exit and Entry of Changsha.
Section 8 Graduation, Completion, non-completion of Schooling and degree
Article 45 Students, who finish the study and meet to the standard as required, can be conferred on the degree and the diploma and to graduate. Students who have been put under the punishment of demerit will not be granted degree. Students who show signs of improvement will be relieved of punishment after their application ratified by International Students Office.
Article 46 Students, who finish the study as it is required but fail to meet the standard, can be conferred on the completion of Schooling. Students, who reach the standard finally by repeating the course or redoing the graduation thesis, can have the completion of Schooling replaced with the diploma of issuance date.
Article 47 According to Provisional Rules on Conferment of Degree of the People’s Republic of China, students, who are permitted to graduate and pass the examination of Academic Degree Committee, can be awarded the certificate of degree.
Article 48 Students, who withdraw from the university after the study of one year or above, can be conferred on the certificate of non-completion of schooling.
Article 49 Certificate of graduation, certificate of completion of schooling or certificate of non-completion of schooling and certificate of degree can not be reissued. If the above certificates are lost or broken, only verification shall be issued to the applicator.
Article 50 All other matters about certificate of graduation, certificate of completion of schooling or certificate of non-completion of schooling and certificate of degree, please consult relevant regulations of CSUST.
Chapter 4 Daily Behavior Management
Article 51 Students are educated and managed according to the laws and regulations of China. Students should abide by Chinese law and regulations as well as the discipline of the university. Students must show their respect and obedience to Chinese moral codes and customs.
Article 52 Political activity is not organized by the university usually. Students should take part in various activities arranged specially for the international students by the university.
Article 53 Students are encouraged to join in the Student’s clubs and its activities of recreation and sports established by the student’s union by the university. Approved by the university, the student friendship party can be set up. The friendship party must observe Chinese laws and regulation and accept the supervision of the university.
Article 54 The university respect student’s custom and religion, but do not provide any place for religious activity. Missionary work and religious activity are forbidden at the unreligious area. Performance of religion must abide by the Regulations on the Alien’s Religious Activity in People’s Republic of China.
Article 55 Students can not be employed to work or do business during their study. But students can take the work, which is provided by the university, for study.
Article 56 Student’s behavior, which break the rules of public security such as excessive drinking, gambling, drug-addicting, and distribution, copy or sale of illegal books or audio-visual products, are forbidden. Those activities, which sully the college student’s image or damage the social moral codes, are prohibited. Students, who offend the rules, shall be punished. And the student shall shoulder all the responsibility, if a bad consequence (including a casualty or a loss of property) occurs.
Article 57 On the aspect of discipline and others, the students shall be managed according to Regulations on the Students of Higher Education Institution.
Chapter 5 Regulation on Accommodation
Section 1 International students Apartment management
In order to keep the Dorm’s safety and maintain normal order of studying and living, the following management regulations are made:
Article 58 Students must observe the dorm’s regulations. They must not use the dorm to engage in activities that are against national laws or school regulations.
Article 59 Students should not change rooms or take other rooms without authorization, nor can they transfer or sublet their rooms. Only two students are allowed to live in a standard double room. Students who wish to have a single room must apply in writing. A suite is available for dual applicants.
Article 60 After having paid deposit, each dorm dweller will be given a key, which cannot be duplicated or lent to others. In case the key gets lost or damaged, the key owner needs to get another one from the front desk of the dorm. Students need to return their keys upon graduation or completion of study.
Article 61 Students who have finished studies need to check out within one week. Otherwise the room will be charged at the rate of hotel guests.
Article 62 After check-out, anything that’s left in the room will be handled by the staff working at the dorm;
Article 63 Students should cooperate with the dorm staff and observe the Visitors’ Regulations, Visitors should enter the room after registering at the reception with the identity card or student card, visitors should leave apartment before 22:00 o’clock. It’s forbiddend that visitors stay overnight in the apartment.
(1) Visitors can not enter the room randomly. The lobby in the dorm is the place for meeting visitors. Staffs working at the reception will inform the visited international students.
(2)Visitors should enter the room after registering at the reception with the identity card or student card and getting the permission of the visited student’s roommate if necessary.
(3) The time for visiting is: 8:00 A. M.-10: 00 P.M..
(4)Visitors must obey the visiting time and leave the foreign students’ dorm before 10:00 P.M.. Otherwise, the staffs working at the dorm have the right to force visitors to leave the dorm and inform related department and police station.
(5)It is prohibited for visitors to take a shower in the rooms of the dorm. Violators will be given economic sanctions.
(6)It is prohibited for the visitor to stay over night or influence the normal study and life of international student’s roommate. If the roommate complains about the visitor, the visitor will be charged double accommodation fee after OSA’s verification. Staff working at the dorm has the right to restrict visitors’ access of this international student.
(7)Visitors must obey the laws of China and various management regulations of CSUST and International Students’ Apartment.
(8) It is forbidden that visitors use the kitchen, laundry room, gym and other public facilities.
Article 64 Students should take good care of personal valuables such as cell phones, computers, cash, and bank cards. Lock the door when leave the room or sleeping. No business trading is allowed in the dorm building.
Article 65 Take good care of public properties. Do not move or damage facilities. When damage occurs, report it to the front desk and be ready to pay for damages. Keep an eye on the microwave oven, electromagnetic oven and washer when you use them. Turn them off when you are done. Students should pay for the damage or accept punishment if they cause damage to facilities due to improper use or deliberate damage.
Article 66 Please cooperate with the dorm staff when they need to enter your room.
Article 67 Keep the Dorm quiet. It is not allowed to engage in activities that will interrupt other people’s study or rest. Be a civilized dweller.
Article 68 Students living in international student apartment are supposed to come back before 12:00 P.M. And those who back late will still be posted everyday by International College. And the serious warning will be given as a punishment to those who come back late for 2 times within a month. As for those who violate the regulation for three times within a month, refuse to register or register with wrong information, their right of campus accommodation will be deprived.
Article 69 The scholarship student who have enjoyed the free accommodation, if there is any special reason, can live outside the campus by applying to Students Affairs Office with written application form.
Article 70 Be a civilized dweller. Students will be asked to pay a fine, scolded, educated or punished if one of the following behaviors is conducted:
（1）Dump garbage into the hall, sinks, public bathrooms or room toilets.
（3） Stain or damage walls.
（4） Park bikes or motorcycles randomly.
（5）Spit randomly and litter.
（6） Make loud noises that disturb other people.
（7） Do not obey the 11:00 PM or 11:30 PM curfews.
（8）Organize illegal gatherings.
（9） Other uncivilized behaviors.
Article 71 Students’ will be asked to pay a fine or their properties will be confiscated if one of the following behaviors is conducted:
（1）Set up outlets, wires or internet connections without authorization.
（2）Use high-power electronics such as electric oven, electric heater and electric rice cooker inside dorm rooms.
（3）Use coal oven, gas oven (burner) or natural gas oven inside dorm rooms.
（4）Burn wastes privately.
（5）Damage public facilities.
（7）Other unsafe methods of using electricity and fire.
Article 72 Students will be punished or sent to the police if one of the following behaviors is conducted:
（3）Fighting or group scuffling. Threaten other people’s safety.
（4）Storing or using explosives, dangerous goods or poisons.
（5）Watching and distributing anti-governmental or pornographic products.
（6）Stealing public properties; blackmailing or cheating.
（7）Preaching fake science.
（8）Behaviors that are insulting other people’s religious beliefs.
（10）Other behaviors that are prohibited by laws.
Section 2 Regulation on Living Off-campus
To implement the Changsha Public Security Bureau’s related policies, to ensure the safety of students who rent off-campus, to protect students’ lawful rights, and to guarantee good living conditions and studying environment, CSUST makes the following regulations.
Article 73 If rooms are available, all kinds of international students should live in the Foreign Students’ International student apartment for the first academic year.
Article 74 Self-sponsored students who want to live off-campus should house-hunt first, fill out the application form for living off campus, and obtain OSA’s approval.
Article 75 Students who live off-campus need to sign a lease or agreement with the landlord and register at the local police station. They also need to inform staffs working at OSA and go through the same procedure if they move. If the students move to another house without informing the OSA and therefore influence the extension of their residence permit, the students have to take the whole responsibility.
Article 76 The lease or agreement should be copied to OSA for record.
Article 77 Students who transfer or quit school need to report to OSA, local police station and the Entry and Exit Department of the Changsha Public Security Bureau.
Article 78 Students are responsible for their own safety and property security. They also need to mediate any disputes with the landlord. When necessary, OSA will provide with translation service and policy consultation.
Article 79 Students who live off-campus should observe law of China, It is strictly prohibited to be engaged in activities such as missionary work, gambling, drug-addicting or fighting, etc. if student committee any illegal acts mentioned above, a corresponding punishment will be given after investigated by police department. personal injury coursed during illegal acts shall be exempted from the insurance liabilities for medical expenses.
Article 80 The scholarship student who have enjoyed the free accommodation, if there is any special reason, can live outside the campus by applying to Students Affairs Office with written application form.
Chapter 6 Medical Treatment and Insurance
Article 81 To guarantee the health and safety, all international students are required to purchase the comprehensive insurance. For the students who do not purchase insurance, will pay by himself any costs concerning medical treatment, and the university has an exemption from any duty and liability.
Article 82 Students are required to purchase comprehensive insurance within two weeks after register.
Article 83 The university shall designate one of the life insurance company, which is ratified by the China Insurance Regulatory Commission, to deal with the business to make the students enjoy the same benefits from the insurance.
Article 84 The university plays a middle-agent role in collecting fee and purchasing the insurance for all the students and assist the student in making a claim.
In order to attract and help students from overseas, Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan to study and do research at CSUST, and encourage them to work hard and develop their solidarity and friendship, we make the following Provisions.
Article 85 Candidates for Scholarship
Full-time international students who study more than a year at CSUST for bachelor’s, master’s or doctor’s degree.
Article 86 Qualifications
（1）Abide by laws of China and regulations of CSUST.
（2）Do not hold any hostility towards China and the Chinese people. Respect Chinese cultures and customs.
（3）Respect teachers and the elderly, be friendly and willing to help others.
（4）Hard-working and outstanding in study. Makeup exam in any course is unacceptable.
（5）Actively participate activities organized by OSA.
（6）Undergraduates, postgraduates, doctoral students, and general/advanced scholars can apply for this scholarship with an average score of 80 or higher. First and second prize will be appraised according to students’ grades and comprehensive behavior.
（7）Degree-pursuing students are regarded as general scholars and should apply for the general scholar category in the first year when they study Chinese.
Article 87 Scholarship Categories
（1）For undergraduates and general scholars
（2）For postgraduates, doctoral students, and advanced scholars
Article 88 Students can apply for this scholarship after mid September each year. Candidates are nominated by students’ departments. A list of applicants will be published via joint agreement from International College, Graduate School, the Academic Affairs Office, and instructors. Final decision will be made by CSUST Foreign Affairs Leadership Team.
Article 89 Appraisal is in mid October and awarding is in November.
Article 90 Scholarship students may not qualify for nomination in the next year if they have violated laws of PRC or regulations of CSUST
Article 91 The details of the scholarship are described as below:
(1) Scholarship for undergraduates and junior college students falls into 3 ranks: 3000 yuan for each student of the first prize in one school year, 2000 yuan for each student of the second prize in one school year, and 1000 yuan for each student of the third prize in one school year.
(2) Scholarship for postgraduates falls into 3 ranks: 5000 yuan for each student of the first prize in one school year, 3000 yuan for each student of the second prize in one school year, and 2000 yuan for each student of the third prize in one school year.
(3) Scholarship for doctors falls into 3 ranks: 6000 yuan for each student of the first prize in one school year, 4000 yuan for each student of the second prize in one school year, and 3000 yuan for each student of the third prize in one school year.
The rank, the winner and the money of the prize will be adjusted in due time to fit the changed condition by the universitya.
Article 92 The evaluation of the scholarship is built on the total score of the student. The total score consists of the basic score and the extra score.
Article 93The basic score is the average score of student’s final exam.
Article 94 The student, who satisfy the following conditions, can get the extra scoce.
(1) The student, who win the first prize, the second prize or the third prize in a national competition, shall get the extra score of 3, 2.5 or 2 respectively. In a provincial competition, the first prize winner, the second prize winner and the third prize winner will receive the extra score of 2.5, 2 and 1.5 respectively. In the competition of the university, the first prize winner, the second prize winner and the third prize winner will receive the extra score of 1, 0.8 and 0.5 respectively. In the competition of the school, the first prize winner, the second prize winner and the third prize winner will receive the extra score of 0.3.0, 2 and 0.1 respectively.
(2) The student, whose group achieves the first prize, the econd prize or the third prize of a national competition, shall get the extra score of 3, 2.5 or 2 respectively. The student, whose group achieves the first prize, the second prize or the third prize of a provincial competition, shall get the extra score of 2.5, 2 or 1.5 respectively. The student, whose group achieves the first prize, the second prize or the third prize of a competition of the university, shall get the extra score of 1, 0.8 or 0.5 respectively. The student, whose group achieves the first prize, the second prize or the third prize of a competition of the school, shall get the extra score of 0.3, 0.2 or 0.1 respectively.
(3) The student, who receives the commendation from the school, shall get the extra score of 0.3. The student, who receives the commendation from the university, shall get the extra score of 0.5.
(4) The carders of the class or above, who fulfill their tasks well shall get the extra score of 0.1 to 0.5.
(5) The student, who pass the exam of HSK and obtain its certificate or a higher one, shall get the extra score of 2.
Article 95 The tentative result of the evaluation must be know to the public and seek opinion for 3 days. Then, it will be summit to the competent authority to examine and approve.
Article 96 If a student has objection to the tentative result of the evaluation, an appeal can be made to the International College within 3 days after the result is published. Upon the appeal, International Exchange Division should collect the opinions widely, make careful investigation and give an answer in 3 days. Approved by the competent authority, the answer (the final result) will be known to the student
Section 8 Punishment
Article 97 The jurisdiction and procedures for giving sanctions to students who violate disciplines:
(1) For the sanctions of warning and serious warning given to the students who violate disciplines, the Office of Student Affairs at International College takes the responsibility to investigate disciplinary violations and the International College Committee discusses, makes decisions and gives the written notice for the sanctions. The record should be put on to CSUST.
(2) For the sanctions of recording a demerit and academic probation and expulsion from school, the Office of Student Affairs at International College takes the responsibility to investigate disciplinary violations and International College Committee discusses and puts forwards preliminary sanctions. The preliminary sanctions will be sent to Students Affairs Division for examination and then reported to the relevant school leaders. After gaining the approval of relevant school leaders, the school gives the written notice for the sanctions. (giving the sanction of expulsion from school will be discussed and decided by the presidents’ meeting and the written form of sanction notice will be submitted to Educational Department of Hunan Province)
(3) After the decision of giving sanctions was made, the sanction decisions should be issued and delivered to the students by the Office of Student Affairs at International College. And the sanction decisions must be signed by the students themselves or their agent. If the students refuse to sign, the working staff of the Office of Student Affairs in charge of delivery (two) shall record their refusal.
(4) For the sanctions of academic probation and expulsion from school, the school office will submit the result to the embassy or representative institutions in China, dispatching organization, and parents of students.
Article 98 The sanctions higher than academic probation shall be given to the students who have been given the sanctions higher than warning twice before according to the seriousness of circumstances. The higher level of sanction shall be given to students who have been given one sanction before.
Article 99 The period of academic probation is usually one year. The sanction of academic probation can be lifted on time for students who make progresses in the period of probation. The sanction of academic probation can be lifted ahead of time for students who render meritorious services or make significant progresses (The time period for academic probation should not be less than six months). The time period for academic probation could be prolonged for students who do not behave well during the period of academic probation (The time period for accumulative academic probation should not be more than two years). The sanction of expulsion from school should be given to the students who violate disciplines again during the period of academic probation.
The students should submit the written application for lifting the academic probation to the class council and the class adviser for them to write their comments. The department should write the report for lifting the academic probation which will be examined by the Students Affairs Division and approved by the relevant school leaders.
The sanction of recording a demerit instead of academic probation should be given to the senior students who should have been given the sanction of academic probation due to the reasons except cheating in examinations. When such students graduate, they will be given the certificate of Completion of Schooling. Such students can apply for the reissued diploma after one year of graduation by the records of thoughts, work and daily performance given by the working unit or community of the students.
It is not allowed to suspend from school in principle for students who are in the period of probation. If the students need to suspend from school in probation due to special circumstances, the time period of academic probation will be extended accordingly.
Article 100 The sanction of expulsion shall be given, if:
(1) Violate Chinese constitution; destroy the stability and unity, disturbing social order of China,
(2) Violate laws of China and constitute a criminal offence,
(3) Violate the public security administration provisions and given a public security administration punishment,
(4) Any use of unfair means in an attempt to enhance performance (plagiarism, collusion, or cheating) is regarded with particular severity,
(5) Violate the school regulations, and class, campus disciplines, disrupt the normal teaching order and the order of public places management, infringe the lawful rights and interests of other people or organizations and cause serious consequences.
(6) Repeatedly violate the school rules and regulations, refuse to mend his/her ways after education, do not obey school arrangement and being vexatious.
Article 101 the violations and provisions which not mentioned in this regulation, please consult The Ordinance on the Disciplinary Violations of Students of CUST.
Chapter 9 Regulation on Work-study Program
In order to standardize students’ work-for-study activities to protect their legal interests, according to relevant documents and provisions issued by Ministry of Education of PRC and Changsha municipality, the following provisions are made
Article 102 About the Work-study Program
Under the condition that regular study is not interrupted, students are allowed to work on or off campus. The income they make can be supplement to their daily expenses.
Article 103 Qualifications
（1）Officially registered students who maintain legal student status.
（2）Students who apply for work-study program are required to pass all the exams of both compulsory and optional courses.
（3）Students have comprehensive life insurance.
Article 104 Some restrictions
（1）Maximum work time is 20 hours per week during school time.
（2）Maximum work time is 8 hours per day during vacations.
（3）Work-study program may not include TV or radio programs, commercial performances, or performances in entertaining places.
（4）All activities have to be observed by laws and regulations of PRC.
Article 105 Application and Registration
(1) Students have to apply with OSA of International College and fill out Application form for work-study program. OSA of International College will then report it to Exit and Entry Department of Changsha Municipal Bureau of Public Security to obtain approval.
(2) Materials that need to be submitted with the application form: copies of signed contract with the employer (starting and ending dates, type of business, time, payment and pay day should be stated), passport, student ID and residence permit.
(3) Students who participate in the work-study program have to keep record of the employment and abide by the Labor Law and other related laws of PRC.
Article 106 Accidents and Disputes
(1)Injuries or accidents happen during work must be reported to OSA and other authorities immediately.
(2)Disputes between students and employers should be resolved via mutual negotiation, or they can be mediated by a labor arbitrator. OSA will provide with translation service and policy consultation when necessary.
Article 107 If these provisions contravene national regulations and laws, please consult the latter for reference.
Chapter 10 Supplementary Provisions
Article 108 Student’s violation of the discipline, which is not covered in this handbook, shall be handled according to Provisions on the Disciplinary Offenses of Students of CSUST. CSUST reserve the rights to notify student’s parents, together with his country’s embassy or its representative organization of his punishment.
Article 109 The regulations goes into effect as soon as it is publicly announced. In case of any discrepancy between the handbook and the previous one, this handbook prevails.
Article 110 The power of interpretation of this regulation shall be vested in International College at CSUST.